Thursday, April 13, 2017

At Attention by Annabeth Albert


At Attention by Annabeth Albert

Review by Lauren

source: copy from Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: It's a bit long, so check it out on Goodreads

Review: At Attention is the second in the Out of Uniform series and just as good as the first. In this book we have Apollo who lost his husband a couple years ago and is now raising their twin daughters on his own. He never saw himself as the settling down type until he met his husband, so he's not exactly looking for someone else to fill the role of companion or lover. However, when his best friend pushes his younger brother, Dylan, on him for the summer, things begin to change. Dylan is in town to help Apollo with the girls and to work at a summer camp. While Dylan has always had a crush on Apollo, he tries to get a handle on his feelings and just be the helpful person that Apollo obviously needs. Of course...this doesn't last that long.

Eventually, the two do start up a relationship of sorts, though it's not really defined as such and kept a secret from anyone. Dylan is only here for the summer, so Apollo can rationalize getting involved when he knows it's just physical and there's an end date. This is before feelings enter the equation and they definitely do! For one thing, Dylan has feelings from the start, even if he tells himself he's okay with just the summer. As for Apollo, he starts to realize how much he truly likes Dylan and it's obvious that Dylan fits well in the family, since the girls also adore him. 

This is another great read by Annabeth Albert, and I highly recommend the whole series. The characters were realistic and well done, and I thought the evolving relationship between Apollo and Dylan was done very well. I can't wait for the third book, whose main characters appear in At Attention! Get to know them now! 

4 comments:

Joy said...

I requested this as soon as I read your review. this book was on my wishlist for April and I don't know why I missed it on my last NG jaunt. I love this author, so I can't wait to read this one!

Verushka said...

Be still my heart I love stories that are about miscommunications after a fashion!

Ksenia said...

Wonderful review, Lauren! A friend put this book on my radar, and I added it to my tbr-list. The romance between Apollo and Dylan sounds like something I will enjoy.

Lisa Mandina said...

I like the idea of this story as a possible new family coming together. Great review!