Monday, August 3, 2015

Teacher Comes Out to Students Every Single Year

source
I wanted to share this story that I found last week on the website Gay Star News. It's about a drama teacher, Emma Baldry, from England who comes out every single year to her students. She wants them to know that her room is a safe space. They can come to her if they need help and they should not feel alone.

The photo above is from the website, and I wanted to share it as my main photo on here because it's a letter that one of Emma's students gave to her. It's about feeling safe to come out because she knew a teacher that had, and that same teacher helped changed other student's minds about LGBT + men and women.

I think this is a wonderful thing that the teacher did and continues to do, and I'm sure there are a lot of other teachers that are open to their students. I only hope it will be more common, because these people can really help students when they most need it.

What do you think about Emma's story?

-Lauren Becker

3 comments:

Mari said...

I think this story is heartbreaking, in the best possible way. What a wonderful teacher to let her students know they always have someone to confide in. It sure sounds like these students might have one of the greatests teachers ever :)

Lindy Gomez said...

I think Emma sounds like a wonderful teacher. Students need more teachers like this, who make the classroom a safe and loving place! What a wonderful story!

Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

Unknown said...

She sounds like such a great teacher and there should definitely be more like her in schools. Every kid should feel safe at school and able to be who they are. :) Thanks for sharing this!

-- Nicola Reads YA