Monday, August 20, 2012

Eagle Scouts Protest Gay Ban

image from wikipedia, not my own

Eagle Scouts (the highest level of Boy Scouts) are turning in their badges in protest of the BSA not allowing openly gay or lesbian youth or parents in their troops. According to the site, the BSA policy states that "While the BSA does not proactively inquire about the sexual orientation of employees, volunteers, or members, we do not grant membership to individuals who are open or avowed homosexuals or who engage in behavior that would become a distraction to the mission of the BSA.”

The website set up explains how you can send in your badge and also shares letters/photos of those that have already done so. They say-

Many Eagle Scouts have returned their badges in protest since the Boy Scouts of America announced it’s decision to reaffirm the ban on openly gay people participating in the organization. This site was created to display those letters and encourage more Eagle Scouts to join the movement against BSA bigotry and discrimination.

And that-

127 Eagle Scouts have shared their pictures and letters renouncing their Eagle award on this site as of August 17, 2012.

I applaud these Eagle Scouts for sticking up for what they believe in and supporting their fellow human beings. I know it can't be easy for all of them to give up a symbol of all their hard work, but they are definitely doing it for a great and just cause. I've been a Girl Scout since elementary school. I stopped working at it around Junior year of high school but we did finish while trying to achieve our Gold Award (the top award for Girls Scouts) and I know that if I'd actually earned it, I would be sad to see it go but I'd know that I was doing the right thing and would happily be part of a wonderful movement.

What are your opinions? Do you know any Eagle Scouts that might want to send a letter?

No comments: