Friday, October 13, 2017

Mini Review: All Wheel Drive by Z.A. Maxfield


All Wheel Drive by Z.A. Maxfield

Review by Lauren

Source: copy from Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Healey Holly is battered, depressed, and looking to go to ground in his childhood home. He wants to rent the garage apartment, but it’s Diego Luz’s place now, and the last thing Diego wants is to share it.

Diego is recovering too—from the accident that put him in a wheelchair and the death of his mother shortly after. The garage apartment is where he’s keeping his mother’s things, and as long as they’re up those stairs and he’s down on the ground, there’s no way he can deal with his loss. And that’s just how he likes it.

Healey believes in science. Diego believes in luck. It will take a blend of both, and some prayer thrown in besides, for these two to learn that it’s the journey and the destination that matters.


Review: While I enjoyed this one to a degree, it's definitely not a favorite. It's actually been a little while since I've read this and I can remember aspects of it, but nothing terribly concrete. I do think Healy and Diego are both intriguing characters, but sometimes it felt like too much work for the two of them to be together. Most of this comes from Diego who constantly seems to be pushing back at Healey, even as they grow closer. Both guys are dealing with a lot, as can be seen in the summary, and I feel like the author handled everything well. While Diego's family isn't close by, family is still an important part of each man's life and I loved that. I like when characters have close friends or family around them. This isn't a bad read, by any means, but not something I'd re-read. 

3 comments:

Lisa Mandina said...

Sometimes characters do that for me as well. While I like them, and want them together, it almost seems like too much work for them to get over their issues and move forward. It's frustrating sometimes. But then that could just be because I'm single and would like to get the chance to be in a relationship. :-) Great review!

Verushka said...

For me, when characters are that tough to see together, it makes me give up on the book in a way.

Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity said...

Aw, I'm sorry you didn't fall in love with this one, Lauren! Sometimes if a romance seems like too much work the story seems to drag a bit. At least the author handled the big things in the characters' lives well! It's terrible when major themes are brushed over and not explored enough. I hope you adore your next read, though!