Monday, February 8, 2016

Book Review: Buzz by E. Davies



Buzz by E. Davies

Review by Lauren

source: personal copy; all opinions are my own

Official Summary“We can't guarantee your life if you keep playing.”

At twenty-three, an undiagnosed heart condition sends pro hockey player Cameron Riley back to his hometown newly single and looking for work. Cam can't hide his past – especially when his heart racing is a big risk, and boy, does his new boss's nephew make his heart race. Noah's exactly the kind of guy Cam needs after his hellish ex.

“I want to do something new.”


Art curator Noah Clark is glad his beekeeping uncle hired this hunk. Cameron is a sweet, smart bad boy. Noah works hard, like organizing a hockey-themed art exhibition, and he wants to let himself love hard. Noah's busy life would be perfect with Cameron, but what's his new lover hiding?

“Tell me why you've been watching me.”
Pitting Cam's budding relationship with sweet Noah against millions of bucks, Cam is offered a lot of money to abandon his new priorities: life, love, and family. The game of their lives is on the line. And after all's said and done, is it too late for Noah to forgive Cam for his partial truths?


Review: This is one of those books I randomly came across on Amazon and it was only around a dollar, so I decided to give it a shot! This is the first book in the Riley Brothers series, so you get the other two brother's stories next. Jackson's book is Clang and Thomas' is Swish. I know why Cameron has Buzz - he ends up working for a beekeeper when he comes back home after learning he has a heart condition that could kill him if he keeps working too hard. That means no more minor hockey league and definitely no chance to make the majors.

As for Jackson, he plays a large part in Cameron's book too. He's the eldest brother and he's been living at home while his other two brothers have left town to pursue other careers. His book will be Clang because he's a welder. We learn a bit about Thomas, though nobody knows if he's gay or not. I'm not sure about his title, but I really want to read the rest of these books! Both are out now - Jackson next, then you read Thomas' story.

Anyway, back to Cameron and his novel! He's back home and working as a beekeeper, which he quickly learns to love. It's important work and even relaxing in some ways. The nephew of his boss is Noah, who is an art curator and putting together a hockey show. Cameron keeps his past life as a hockey player a secret. He has his reasons, but honestly, he probably should have just told Noah up front. Noah does know he can't stress himself too much for health reasons though, which is a handy excuse when Cameron needs it. Regardless of this white lie, Cameron and Noah are a good couple.

There is plenty of sex and physical moments for those that enjoy that! The book actually starts out with a sex scene between Cameron and Noah, even though it takes a bit longer in the book for the two to meet. I suppose this is a good way to wet people's appetite for more! Besides the romance, I also really liked that Cameron was close to his family and you get to know his brothers fairly well, though mostly Jackson in this one.

I haven't read Clang or Swish yet, but I'm sure I'll be reading more about Cameron in those two, which I'm excited about because I like updates on characters I enjoy! Buzz was an enjoyable, quick read and it's sure to please many!

3 comments:

Verushka said...

I am all for a book starting with whetting readers appetites! This sounds like a fun read!

JezzebellJC said...

It sounds like a cute story with some difficulties to get through. I'm glad you get to enjoy future books with characters you've come to like as well :D

Lola said...

It's fun when you come across a book on amazon, grab it and then really enjoy iy. I like series like this where you follow multiple members of a family or group of friends and the stories are connected in that way. I hope you'll enjoy the next two books as well!