Thursday, July 16, 2015

Letters to Zell Book: What if Snow White Liked Girls?

source
What if Snow White liked girls? That's just one aspect of the novel Letters to Zell by Camille Griep. I was given a review copy of this book and you can read my thoughts over at ShootingStarsMag (I even include a video from Tuesday's artist Todrick Hall) but for this blog, I wanted to talk about this little aspect of Snow White falling for a girl.

In Letters to Zell, Snow White goes by the name Bianca and as foretold in her Pages, she must marry a man named William. This is her best friend, who she loves very much. However, neither of them are in love with each other. Instead, when Bianca ventures Outside with her friends, she meets and falls for a woman named Rachel.

This aspect of Bianca's personality is not questioned by her friends or anyone else in the novel. It is perfectly fine that she loves a woman. What is a problem is that she still needs to marry William or risk the fate of Grimmland, where all the ladies live.

For me, I loved that one of the Fairy Tale Princesses we all know and love has a preference for the same sex. It was a great, modern addition to this very much modern take on the princesses. I highly recommend the book, for Bianca's character and more!

What do you think about Snow White liking girls? Would you read this book? 

-Lauren Becker

1 comment:

Lindy Gomez said...

I would read this book! I think Letters to Zell sounds interesting, and I love that the author brought diversity to their book :)

Lindy@ A Bookish Escape