Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Repost Review: The New Art of Capturing Love: The Essential Guide to Lesbian and Gay Wedding Photography


I can't believe it's December! I really love this month though, so I'm pretty excited. Now, as to this post, I have decided to do some Repost Reviews every now and then. These are LGBT+ themed books that I reviewed over at ShootingStarsMag during my break from Let's Get Beyond Tolerance. I thought it would be nice to share them again here for you all to enjoy! If for whatever reason you want to see my original post, it's here.

The New Art of Capturing Love: The Essential Guide to Lesbian and Gay Wedding Photography by Kathryn Hamm and Thea Dodds

Review by Lauren

Source: Copy from Blogging for Books; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: With nearly half of the states in the US (and 13 countries) currently recognizing same-sex partnerships, the market for LGBT weddings is poised for explosive growth, offering great opportunity for today's wedding photographers. But capturing portraits in this new market requires a new approach to posing, which until now has been nearly exclusively oriented toward pairing a larger man in black with a smaller woman in white. What works for Jack and Jill won't necessarily work for Jack and Michael, let alone Jill and Louise. The New Art of Capturing Love rewrites these traditional techniques, giving photographers the tools to create flattering, emotion-filled images for any couple in today's dynamic wedding market.

Review:  I might not be a professional photographer, but I can admire good photography. Plus, I'm a big fan of love, in all types of forms. Therefore, I really loved checking out this book about LGBT wedding photography. I've never given it much thought, but it's true that a lot of typical wedding shots would not work for a couple of the same sex. It was really interesting to see new pose ideas in this book. They even include ideas for the wedding "objects" like dresses, suits, shoes, rings, etc. as well as wedding party/group shots.

source
There are Behind the Lens moments where the photographer whose photo is highlighted share some thoughts about the shot, or the couple in the shot. I loved the more personal information the best, of course, since I don't take pictures for a living. I think this book has a nice mix for fans of photography to those who want to try and recreate these moments. I liked how the authors included their thoughts throughout the book to help photographers in using some of these ideas. They note to talk to the couple and see how comfortable they are with PDA and other things that photographers might take for granted. They also note how some poses will work better for some couples than others, depending on heights, what they are wearing, etc.

source
Overall, I really enjoyed this and I hope it does well because it has some great tips for Gay and Lesbian weddings!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How beautiful! This book should be gifted to them bigots, show them that love is beautiful regardless of who you fall in love with.

Lisa Mandina said...

Wow, this looks like a really beautiful book! I think I'd love to just page through and look at all the pictures. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Verushka said...

Be still my heart, how lovely are these pics?!??!