Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Story: Honoring Your Transgender Children

source - Steve Peace Tattoos
I came across this story on Facebook and I had to share it. A mom from Calgary, Canada has portraits of all three of her children tattooed on her. However, her son Ace was born a girl and later transitioned to a male. In honor of that and to further show their son support, the father (a tattoo artist) retouched his wife's tattoo to better depict Ace. You can see the two tattoos side-by-side in the photo above. If you would like to read the article, please do!

As someone who is quite scared of needles, I don't see myself ever doing anything like this if I had children, but I know that if I did, I would want the tattoos to represent who my child identifies as, and if that means retouching a little girl into a little boy or vice versa, then so be it! I imagine if you had the names tattooed it might be a little more difficult, but I would want to find some way to honor my son or daughter.

What about you? Would you retouch a tattoo if your child came out as transgender? What do you think about this particular story in general?

-Lauren

4 comments:

Lola said...

I don't like needles and probably won't ever take a tattoo. But I do really like this story and how this mom changed her tattoo to reflect the gender of her kid, I think that's very touching and a sign that she accepts and supports her kid.

Unknown said...

That's such a touching gesture as not all parents are tolerant if not accepting of this.

Verushka said...

Isn't this just the best? I saw this earlier this week and I don't know why I didn't think to come over and tell you! Wait, this one's old, but did you know about the parents that took out a birth announcement AGES ago when their kid transitioned? You probably did, but that ad and those parents stick in my mind like these do! Just <3

JezzebellJC said...

My son means the world to me so I would absolutely change the tattoo to make him happy.