Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Price of Salt becomes...Carol


The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith was originally published under a pseudonym, Claire Morgan. Most people probably know Highsmith (writing under her own name) as the author of such thrillers like The Talented Mr. Ripley. The reason I'm talking about The Price of Salt today is because the novel is what inspired the new movie, Carol, starring Rooney Mara and Cate Blanchett. You can see the trailer for Carol below:


While Highsmight felt she had to publish under a fake name, it's still amazing that she wrote The Price of Salt and that this movie might help circulate the book some more. It's definitely something I'm curious to read (and I do want to see the film as well!) One personal reason I'm excited about seeing Carol is because it's meant to be 1950's New York (I believe around there...) but it was actually filmed in Cincinnati, Ohio, which is where I'm from. We've had a lot more studio companies using Cincinnati and its surrounding areas to film these past few years. Just a tidbit I thought I'd share.

So tell me...have you read The Price of Salt or seen Carol yet? Will you read the book and/or see the movie in the future?

-Lauren

4 comments:

Verushka said...

Oh wow, I had no idea that she wrote that under a fake name! I don't know about watching the movie -- I like Cate Blanchett, but I don't like Rooney Mara much. So I'll see!

PS: happy new year!

Karen said...

I had not heard of this book. I definitely want to read it, and then see the movie. I am a little obsessed with Cate Blanchett, so the movie is a must.

Heather @ Random Redheaded Ramblings said...

I haven't read the book or seen the film but I have seen clips of the film and it looks beautiful, Cate Blanchett is so good!

Anonymous said...

I read the book recently because it was on my wishlist for a while, and I really want to see the movie. I liked the book although it never quite managed to touch me. I'm looking forward to the movie though and have good hopes I'll enjoy that more!