Monday, May 2, 2016

Book Review: Better by Jaime Samms


Better by Jaime Samms

Review by Lauren

source: personal copy; all opinions are my own

Official SummaryAfter filing charges that put his abusive ex-Dom behind bars, Jesse Turbul relocates halfway across the country, hoping to escape his past—but, of course, it's never that easy. When Jesse meets third-year law student Aadon at the library where he works, their mutual attraction is instant and obvious. Despite the sparks, they just can't seem to make it work. Aadon is mired in guilt over his inability to help his older brother, damaged by events far too similar to Jesse’s past. Jesse is stuck in his own desperate wish to forget the painful shadow that continues to threaten him and any hope of a happy future.The only way to move forward is for Jesse to acknowledge he’s broken and for Aadon to accept he can’t make him better. 

Review: I came across this book while perusing the publisher's website (Dreamspinner Press by the way) and I was immediately hooked by the summary. For those that might be wary by the term Dom in the title, don't be! This is probably more of an introduction to the idea of a Dom/sub than anything too explicit. It's really that Jesse likes to give up control in certain situations and Aadon is very much a protector type, though definitely not controlling.

Anyway, I really loved the characters in this one. Beyond Jesse and Aadon, you get some great secondary characters that are dealing with their own lives and issues. In particular, I would love to see a book from Aadon's brother's point of view, as he's been dealing with a lot in his still young life. Aadon is the only family member that visits him and tries to help him. His situation is similar to Jesse's in some ways, so Aadon has to deal with having these two men in his life who are broken and who he cannot fix. He just has to be there and show love.

Despite my saying "broken" and the official summary doing so as well, this does not mean neither Jesse nor Aadon's brother (sorry, blanking on the name!) can't move forward and find happiness. But they will never forget what they went through either and it will be an issue they have to deal with.

Regardless, this was a great story of strength and overcoming odds. It's emotional, yes, but it's one I highly enjoyed reading. I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads too - so hopefully one of you will read this and go check it out! I'd love to know what you thought.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am forgetful of names of secondary characters too. I hope it's not because he's too... bland lol

It's good that you enjoyed this. Nothing worse than spending time on a book that's less than good :)

Lisa Mandina said...

Sounds like you really liked this one! I'm always a little wary of the dom/sub types of stories, as I'm not really into that. But, I guess I do like to kind of let others take over in certain situations, so maybe this one might not be too bad. Great review!

Lola said...

I think it makes sense Jesse needs time and peace to get over what happened in his past and I think the term broken is a good word to describe that state of recovery. This sounds like a good book. I like it when the characters stand out and you care about them. Great review!

JezzebellJC said...

I'm not one to go for emotional reads, but I respect the books that deal with topics that need to be covered. It sounds like a great read. So glad you enjoyed it!