Sunday, March 27, 2016

Gwen Stefani on If Her Sons Were Gay


Over on my other blog, ShootingStarsMag, my review for Gwen Stefani's new album went live and you can check that out here. For this blog, however, I wanted to share an article that I just read about Gwen and how she said in an interview that she would be proud to have a gay son.

The article I read can be found on E Online here and I definitely recommend reading it - it's quick, don't worry! This isn't shocking to me whatsoever, coming from Gwen, but it's still always nice to hear celebrities making these statements. Who knows? Maybe it will start to change some people's minds about sexuality. Gwen also mentions The Danish Girl film, which was exciting, since I saw that in theaters and thought it was amazingly well done.

What do you think about Gwen (and other celebrities) making these statements about their children?

Anything else you want to add?

-Lauren

P.S. Happy Easter to those who celebrate! 

5 comments:

Lisa Mandina said...

I love to hear people come out with those kind of statements. Although in a way it makes me sad that we should even have to make statements like that. To me, if it is your child, you should love them and be proud of them for being themselves no matter what.

Karen said...

I think it is great for a celeb to be saying something positive. Seems like so many try to use their position to push their own political agenda. I have found that a lot of "kids" are more open and accepting then I remember when in was in school. My daughter (who isn't sure about anything at the moment) has a male gay friend, a female born friend who identifies as male, and a straight friend. It is much more accepted by younger generations.

Heather @ Random Redheaded Ramblings said...

Like Gwen, as long as my girls are happy and healthy in their lives. I will be proud of them no matter what, well unless they get arrested for anything then I will be pee'd off!

JezzebellJC said...

I came across an article earlier about 12 celebrities who have lgbt children you might want to check out. http://www.advocate.com/families/2015/03/25/12-celebrities-who-lovingly-embrace-their-lgbt-children. I feel the same. If my son is gay, my love for him will be no different than it is now.

Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity said...

I think it's a good thing when celebrities promote acceptance, because they are role models to so many people.

Although, I have to say that I didn't really like her comment regarding the trans experience in the current day, saying that it was "nothing anymore". Trans people face violence and abuse and bullying all the time, so that statement felt a little ignorant of the struggles that the trans community still faces today.

There's a lot more that needs to be done in terms of creating a society that is accepting of everyone - regardless of their sexuality or gender identity.