Monday, February 29, 2016

Star Wars Film Franchise to Include LGBT Character

source
This past Friday, I came across an article about how J.J. Abrams says that the Star Wars movie franchise will eventually include an LGBT character. From the article-

"To me, the fun of Star Wars is the glory of possibility," Abrams said. "So it seems insanely narrow-minded and counterintuitive to say there wouldn't be a homosexual character in that world."

I applaud Abrams for saying this and for understanding that in any world, this one or in a galaxy far, far, away that there are LGBT people and they should be included. I'm not saying there should be a sudden coming out story among all the action. I don't think anyone would appreciate that. But if there are heterosexual characters, then there should also be someone who identifies as gay or who just happens to be in a relationship with the same sex. As long as it's done with respect, I think it will be an exciting thing to see in such a popular, well-loved series. 

What do you think about this statement from Abrams? Did you read the entire article? Please share your thoughts in the comments!

-Lauren

3 comments:

Verushka said...

I keep thinking of all the fanboys that were up in arms and leaving bad reviews that a book dared DARED to have a gay character in a gasp star wars story. To them I say: HAAAAA. And good on JJ!

JezzebellJC said...

Just as there are all kinds of people from all walks of life that are fans of Star Wars, I feel like the characters should also represent that diversity.

Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity said...

I just read the whole article, and I have to say that I am pretty excited! Although the way his statement was worded seems like it won't be Finn or Poe, which is actually really sad, especially given that they had so much chemistry, and the fans ship it really hard.

I do hope that there is LGBTQIA+ rep in Star Wars, because it is SUCH a big franchise, and it would maybe inspire other movies/TV shows/etc. to include diverse characters. I think the film industry has been pretty lacing in all kinds of diversity, and definitely needs to make a change.

*crosses fingers*