Monday, August 7, 2017

Making It by Christine D'Abo


Making It by Christine D'Abo 

Review by Lauren

source: copy from Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Devan knows exactly what he wants from life: a good career, a husband who loves him, and a child to call his own. He’s working at the perfect job, and has found the man of his dreams in Eli. That only leaves one box left to tick. When his friend offers to be a surrogate mother for Devan and Eli, he’s convinced all his dreams have come true.

Eli has been fighting his entire life. Fighting to keep his sick mother safe, fighting his frustration, and fighting daily as an up-and-coming MMA star. The one thing he can’t fight is the feeling that he’s made a terrible mistake agreeing to be a father with Devan. On the worst night of their lives, Eli knows Devan is better off without him, and leaves.

When Eli returns three years later he comes face-to-face with Devan and a son who might be his. Devan has moved on with his life, but seeing Eli once again reignites forgotten passion. Yet if Eli wants to make it work with Devan, he must decide if he’s ready for the biggest fight of his life.

Review: This is the third book in the Ringside Romance series. While I did enjoy Making It, it's probably my least favorite in the series. I just felt that things moved a bit fast. I love a second chance romance, but Devan seemed to forgive a little too easily when it comes to Eli walking out on him three previous prior. I did appreciate Eli's friends being honest with him about how he didn't treat Devan right. That's one thing that Eli definitely knows, but he's trying to prove to Devan that they can still be together. Of course, that's still difficult when Eli is an up and coming MMA fighter who nobody knows is gay. 

I do love both guys and I want it to work, of course, but I guess I hoped there would be a more of a wait or Eli would have to do more to prove himself. At any rate, this is a fun series, and I would still recommend you check them all out. You can read them out of order, but you see the previous couples in each  subsequent book so reading them in order would help you understand them more! 

Interested in the other books? Working It is the first in the series (my book review here) and Faking It is the second in the series (my book review here). 

4 comments:

Verushka said...

Aw. This sounds lovely, but I totally get that it sometimes it feels better to have a character work for forgiveness, it makes it all the more satisfying.

Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity said...

I feel like second chance romance would be a trope I'd quite like, but I don't think I've ever actually read it in a book before! I do like the sound of a couple working through their past together, although it's a shame you felt like the reconciliation happened too quickly. I think the tension and the "will he forgive him?" aspect would be one of the most exciting to read in a second chance romance!

Lisa Mandina said...

So, does he mean that the son might be his if he had stayed? Or had they used both of the guy's sperm for the surrogate? Curious on that part.

Lola said...

That's too bad that things moved a bit fast in this book, but it still sounds like a great series. I like second chance romances, but they can also be tricky at times. Great review!