Saturday, January 16, 2016

Teen Wolf's Charlie Carver Comes Out

source
I came across this article on EW.com about Teen Wolf actor, Charlie Carver, who made a series of five posts on his Instagram, officially coming out. If you would like to check out his Instagram, go here, and if you want the EW article, check it out here.

I won't share any particular quotes here as I really do think you should check out his Instagram and read the entire letter he shares. Each one says Part 1 through Part 5, so be sure you're reading in the right order.

However, I really wanted to share this story because I think it's great when people in the spotlight are comfortable enough to come out and share that side of themselves. Carver states that he was out in his private life and he didn't feel like he had to talk about his sexuality to the public, and that's true. You shouldn't have too. People will start to pick at you sometimes though and they'll start to question and wonder...and that often leads back to them badgering you and making you feel like you have to come out. It doesn't seem like Carver really felt that, but he did feel a responsibility of sorts to share his story and be known as a gay man for those that are younger and dealing with their sexuality.

You don't have to hide. You can be yourself.

I do like that he mentions to be wary about coming out if you aren't in a safe environment. Many LGBT+ men and women become homeless because of unwelcoming households and families. We don't want this to happen to you, so please find someone safe to talk too!

2 comments:

Piecraft Bucharest said...

Bravo to Charlie! And, yes, I agree that a safe environment can make a lot of difference in these cases. It's sad, but it's also the world we live in. Great post, Lauren.

JezzebellJC said...

Unwelcoming households is so sad to me. I have a child that I will love no matter who he decides to love. I couldn't even begin to imagine turning him out. I haven't watched Teen Wolf but glad to see that he was true to himself and comfortable enough to share that part of himself.