Monday, October 16, 2017

National Coming Out Day: A Belated Note


This past Wednesday, October 11, was National Coming Out Day. I wrote a little something on Twitter, but I do apologize for being late in writing something here. I just wanted to say "congratulations" to everyone who has ever come out as LGBT+ but that just because you may still be "in the closet" or however you want to phrase it, that doesn't make you any less LGBT+ or any less important to the LGBT+ community as a whole. You're still part of us, and we're here if you need us. And I'm an individual within that collective 'us' and I mean that all the same. I'm here to talk, to listen, if you need it.

You don't need to be out to feel legitimate, though I know many might make you feel that way. There are many reasons that people don't come out - or only come out to a select few. Sometimes it's because they live with or around people who would physically, emotionally, verbally, harm them. Sometimes they don't have a specific reason, but they know that it wouldn't be accepted, that it would harm them more than help them in some way. It doesn't matter. You don't have to tell anyone why you don't want to come out. It's okay. I wish that everyone who wanted to come out could, because I hate that so many have to live in fear. But sadly, that's still our world. So much progress has been made but not for everyone, and not everywhere. If you feel like you can't come out, but you are desperate to talk to someone, please reach out somewhere. Find a local chapter of GLSEN, talk to someone online, reach out to the The Trevor Project, or any other safe space you can find - even if that safe space is the internet.

October we celebrate LGBTQ History Month. This is your history. Our history. And I want you to be part of it your entire life, in whatever way you can...in whatever way you want. It's up to you. But we're here for you, me included, in any way you need...and any way we can. So be safe, take care of yourself, and remember that coming out is what you make it. Nobody can tell you how to do it or when. You're part of this community, this history. And we love you. Always remember that.

Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments and/or share this post if you think someone could use it.

Thank you to everyone who has ever read, commented, shared, or done anything else to support Let's Get Beyond Tolerance. I know you're there, and thank you.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I came out at work as bi-sexual this week. It turns out that it isn't that big of a deal. I think I am in a very accepting place surrounded by supportive and open-minded people though. Congrats to all those who did come out this week despite the fear of being misunderstood or otherwise. I hope one day we can all be in a place where it isn't that big of a deal. Thanks for sharing this!

Lola said...

I agree that it would be great if everyone who wanted to could come out as LBGT+. But I can also see why some people are afraid to do so or have other reasons to not do so. And it's great there are places online and offline people can go to talk if they want to.