Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Home Fires by Kate Sherwood


Home Fires by Kate Sherwood

Review by Lauren

source: copy from Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Trouble comes to Mosely, Montana, from the outside world. When the residents of Mosely are left on their own, they can make things work. Sure, there’s always been a militia operating up in the hills, but they were small-scale—just survivalists doing their thing—until organizers came in from out of state. Now Jericho Crewe and the rest of the sheriff’s department are facing down a heavily armed band of fanatics, and the feds are busy elsewhere.

The odds are hopeless, but Jericho swore an oath to serve and protect the citizens of Mosely. He won’t walk away from that, even if Wade Granger’s begging him to run away somewhere and finally be together the way they always should have been.
But this time, it’s Jericho who refuses to leave Mosely, even if staying kills him.

Review: This is the fourth, and I believe final, book in the Common Law series. I never want to say too much about a book - especially one taking place later in a series - because I don't want to ruin anything for prospective readers. Therefore, I will simply state that I loved this book and I am a huge fan of the series in general. None of the books are terribly long, though each has its own set conflict or story arch, so it works well! You could definitely binge all these books in a quick amount of time!

I love the characters of Jericho and Wade - how they are seemingly on opposite ends of the wall, but they are still drawn to each other. We also get a different side of Wade in this one which I appreciated it. All these characters have layers, and each book just seems to peel back more and more about them. I appreciate well-written characters and Sherwood definitely delivers that! I highly recommend the Common Law series. While I think this might be the last in the series, there is something about the end that makes me think we could get a new sort of series and I really hope that's true! I'd grab it in a heartbeat. 

4 comments:

Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity said...

I'm glad you liked this series finale, Lauren! Finales are always scary to read because you never know if what you want to happen to the characters will happen.

It sounds like this might be an opposites attract kind of story, which is quite like, and don't see much of in the YA books I read. They mainly stick to hate to love, which I like as well, haha.

Since you said it wouldn't take too long to binge the series I might give it a go when I'm wracking my brain on what to read next!

Unknown said...

Series enders are tricky and one can only be glad that a series ends well. Great closure etc.

Layered reads are great especially when the author takes his or her time in peeling them which usually leads to higher emotional investment on the plot and characters

Lisa Mandina said...

It is hard when there is an ending that you know wraps up the story perfectly, but there might be a possibility there could be more. Because when it is a series I love, all I want is to keep immersing myself into the world and story. Great review, it is always hard to review books later in a series, I'm like you and always afraid to give away too much.

Verushka said...

Militia and fanatics? Wow! I didn't expect that!