Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday with Author Brent Hartinger


I contacted various authors this month who wrote LGBT+ fiction and whose latest book was fit for the month of Halloween. Two of them chose the Top Ten Tuesday Halloween Freebie for next week, so I figured I'd post one today and the other next Tuesday. Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Top Ten Twist Endings
by Brent Hartinger

I'm a huge fan of twist endings in books (at least when they're done fairly, and the author doesn't cheat). Here are a few of my favorites:

Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge: Just in time for Halloween, a horror novel that will make you never look at pumpkins the same way again.

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James: How reliable is this narrator exactly? The most interesting way to read this classic is as a story of a woman who has some serious projection issues when it comes to sex.

Follow You Home by Mark Edwards: This is a case of a book where I don't think the author plays entirely fair, withholding information that the narrator knows but doesn't reveal to the reader until the very end. But I still couldn't put it down.

Shattering Glass by Gail Giles: A kid is bullied. By the end of the book, someone gets shattered, but it's not necessarily who you think!

The Good Neighbor by A.J. Banner: A smart, cleanly-written domestic thriller set near Seattle (where I live).

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn: I'm one of those who hated the ending of this book, because it requires characters to act in crazy, unbelievable ways. But the mid-book twist where the alternating narrators are both revealed to be extremely unreliable is hands-down brilliant.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card: Unfortunately, the author is a raging bigot, so I would discourage you from buying this sci-fi book (get it from a library instead). Regardless, the ending will blow your mind.

The Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne: One twin dies, and the parents take the surviving child to live on an isolated island. Creepy things ensue. Is the ending far-fetched? Perhaps, but it still worked for me.

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk: Yeah, yeah, everyone knows the twist ending by now. But it's still a good one.

Grand and Humble by Brent Hartinger: I hate to include one of my own books, but [ahem] I'm especially proud of this twist, which (as far as I know) has never been done before, in any book or movie. And no one -- and I mean NO ONE -- has ever guessed it correctly.

THREE TRUTHS AND A LIE by Brent Hartinger

Brent Hartinger's latest book is Three Truths and a Lie, a psychological thriller with, yes, a twist ending! And also gay teens. Visit Brent at www.brenthartinger.com. Check out the book trailer for Three Truths and a Lie here

6 comments:

Kristen @ Metaphors and Moonlight said...

I love a good twist! But of course I agree only if they're done fairly. But they're oh-so-fun when they are! Great list, I'll have to check some of these books, and Brent's :-)

Verushka Byrow said...

The recs are awesome -- more books to check out!

AngelErin said...

The Turn of the Screw and Gone Girl are great! Ender's Game is pretty good too and I especially love the twist ending for that one. I love a great twist. I'm such a sucker for them! 😊

Lisa Mandina said...

Ender's Game is the only one of those books that I've read, but yeah, it did have a major twist at the end. One that I really liked was Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix. Fun post!

Kate Midnight Book Girl said...

I love Gail Giles, her books usually have a great twist but she's not a super widely known author so it's wonderful to see her here!

I need to re-read Fight Club though, because I really want to read Fight Club 2.

Lola R said...

Good twist are so much fun, especially when you didn't see the twists coming or sometimes even when you did manage to predict it. I haven't read any of the books on your list but they all sound good.